SVGS Library Building Part of Florida Quilt Trail

As a proud member of the Florida Quilt Trail project, the SVGS Library building recently got a new look with the installation of its “Pioneer Schoolhouse” quilt square.

This charming visual reminder of the building’s former function as the Suwannee High School band building was donated by the McGranahan family, owners and operators of Live Oak Pest Control.

To celebrate the installation of our quilt square , Society President, Jinnie Hancock, asked Suwannee County historian, Eric Musgrove, to give us a brief history of schools in Live Oak. As always, Eric, who is our Go-To-Guy for all questions relating to Suwannee County history, had the answers. Many thanks to Eric for the following information.

Live Oak Schools

White/Integrated Schools

First public white school built in 1889 on land donated by Nancy Parshley on what is now First Baptist Church property. It was a two-story wooden building, with additions constructed between 1903 and 1906 and also possibly in or around 1893. It was used as such until 1916, when a new school (Parshley School) was built nearby.

The old school building was sold to Florida Memorial in September of 1916 and moved to their site two blocks west. The main part of the building was used as a dormitory, while the newer portion was moved to the northwest corner of the school grounds and converted into a gymnasium. It was used by Florida Memorial, possibly until the school merged with another out-of-town school in 1941. If the building still existed in 1947 (some indications are that it was gone by 1943), it was sold at auction with the remaining Florida Memorial buildings and torn down to make way for the Suwannee County Hospital.

Parshley School (officially named Suwannee High School) built 1916 at a cost of $70,000 and used as a high school until 1927, when the Metcalfe School was completed. It was then used as a grammar school, etc. until 1964 or afterwards. It was torn down circa 2000.

Metcalfe School (officially named Suwannee High School) was completed in 1927 and was in use until Hurricane Dora damaged the foundation in
1964. It sat derelict until it was torn down circa 2000.

Nettie Baisden Primary School was completed in 1942 and torn down in 2016.

African-American Schools

Douglass High School was a two-story wooden building constructed at 410 South Houston Street (west side of the street) some time prior to 1912 and used until a new school was built in 1927.

Douglass High School – A one-story building was completed in 1927 on South Houston Street, on the east side of the street and south of Ebenezer AME Church at approximately 421 South Houston Street. It was in use until Douglass School on Ontario Street was expanded to accommodate high school in the late 1950s/early 1960s.

Douglass School – Construction began in 1950, additions were made through mid-1960s. Fully integrated in 1969 and in use as a public school until the new Middle School was built in 1990. Thereafter the school as used for various functions, including alternative school.

Private Schools

Live Oak White Male and Female Seminary started out as Nathan Walker and Henry Wyse’s proposal for a courthouse. BCC backed out of the contract and the incomplete building was repurposed for use as a school in 1869 by the Suwannee School Company, which was made up of a dozen or so prominent Suwannee County/Live Oak citizens.

The building was sold to Elijah F. Henderson by Nathan Walker and continued to be used as a white school until it was sold to Florida Memorial (also knows as Florida Institute) in 1873. It was used by Florida Memorial until 1942, when the school moved from Live Oak. The building was torn down in 1947 to make way for the Suwannee County Hospital.

Florida/Suwannee County Timeline

1821 – Florida is acquired from Spain and becomes a territory of the United States. Two counties, St. Johns and Escambia, are created on 21 July 1821. The border separating these newly created counties is the Suwannee River, St. Johns County to the east and Escambia County to the west. What we now know as Suwannee County was then part of St. Johns County.

1822 – On 12 August, 1822, two additional counties are created; Duval county was carved out of St. Johns County, and Jackson County out of Escambia county. The Suwannee River formed the boundary between these newly formed counties. At this time, the future Suwannee County was part of Duval County.

1824 – Florida Territory continues to grow in populations, so once again more counties are added. The current Suwannee county becomes part of Alachua County on 29 December 1824.

 

1832 – Continued population growth cause new counties to be added. On 4 February 1832, the future Suwannee County becomes part of the newly formed Columbia County.

 

1835 – The Second Seminole Indian War begins in 1835 and lasts until 1842.

1845 – Florida becomes the twenty-seventh state of the United States on 3 March 1845.

1855 – The Florida, Atlantic and Gulf Railroad begins building tracks from Jacksonville to Lake City in 1855 and completes construction in 1859. The Pensacola and Georgia Railroad from Tallahassee to Lake City begins construction in 1855 and is completed in 1861.

1857 – Construction begins on an east-west railroad, known as the Pensacola and Georgia Railroad Line, across North Florida. It is completed in 1861.

1858 – Suwannee County becomes a county in its own right on 21 December 1858. At that time, there are only 200 families living with the county boundaries, with a population of about 2,000 people. Houston becomes the first county seat.

1859 – The first post office in Suwannee County is established in Houston on 22 December 1859.

1860 – The community of Wellborn is founded at a time when cotton is king and one of the largest cotton warehouses in the area is located within its town limits.

1861 – The Civil War breaks out, and Suwannee County furnishes 250 men for service in the Confederate Army. The Confederacy desperately needs supplies from Florida, so construction of a railroad from Dupont, Georgia to the railroad crossing Suwannee County is begun. Its completion comes too late to do much for the war effort, but it will later prove to be what makes Live Oak prosper in the city’s early years.

1866 – The Live Oak post office is established 26 June 1866.

1868 – The county seat of Suwannee County is moved from Houston to Live Oak on 1 August 1868.

1869 – The Florida Legislature changes its laws to allow the citizens of a county to choose their county seat, and the first election is held on 27 March 1869. There are six polling places: Houston, Wellborn, Live Oak, Columbus, Plowdens, and Boston.

1878 – The Live Oak community is incorporated as a town on 24 April 1878. Luraville is settled in 1878, and has a population of 75 by 1886.

1880 – The town of O’Brien is established. It is originally called Obrine. It soon boasts two churches, sawmills, a turpentine still, cotton gins, and five stores. It will later change its name to Obrine Station, before finally settling on O’Brien as its permanent name.

1881 – There are 49 schools in Suwannee County, nearly double the number of 28 in 1879.

1882 – The town of McAlpin is settled.

1886 – New Branford, formerly known as Rowland’s Bluff, is incorporated as a town. The name will later be changed to Branford.

1892 – Live Oak’s oldest existing business, the B. W. Helvenston and Son Insurance Agency, is founded.

1900 – The number of public schools now totals 82, 57 of which are for white students; 25 for black students.

1904 – The Suwannee County Courthouse, which is still in use today, is built.

1907 – There is an attempt to relocate the capital of Florida from Tallahassee to a more central location, and the City of Live Oak is proposed as the new site, but the attempt fails. The state capital still remains in Tallahassee today.

1908 – After building the Live Oak, Perry, and Gulf Railroad (affectionately known locally as “the Loping Gopher”) to serve his sawmill, and later freight and passenger traffic, Thomas Dowling moves his lumber mill to the west side of Suwannee County. The community that evolves from that move will eventually become Dowling Park.

This timeline of Suwannee County history was prepared by Jinnie Hancock, President of the Suwannee Valley Genealogy Society.